Built in the late 1880's, The Woolacombe Bay Hotel is third generation owned and run by the Lancaster family. Renowned for our 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude, The Woolacombe Bay is a hotel for all seasons suiting people from all walks of life and is committed to providing accessibility for all of our visitors whilst maintaining the character and charm of this splendid Victorian hotel.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01271 870388
- Reservations are open between 8am - 11pm every day
- We have a comprehensive website - see contact information
- Our brochure, sample menus & tariffs are available in larger font on request
- You can contact the Hotel by phone, (our telephones accept 'type talk') email or in person. The reception is manned 24 hours.
- The nearest National Express bus stop is Ilfracombe which is approx. 6 miles from Woolacombe
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Barnstaple that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a shop mobility scheme operating in Braunton (approx. 7 miles from Woolacombe) and Barnstaple (approx. 13 miles away)
- Wheelchairs and disabled aids are available locally and can be delivered - See contact information
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- We have a private, gated car park with designated disabled car spaces either side of the main entrance - there is rear access to the car once parked. Passengers can disembark by the Hotel's main entrance which is in our private car park, or by the Brasserie doors which are on South Street if this is more convenient
- There are another set of doors which open automatically giving level access from South Street into the Hotel Suites and Bay Brasserie
- Porterage is always available and offered at reception on check in and again on checking out
- The tarmac car park has a gradual incline. It is well lit at night
- With the exception of service dogs, pets are not allowed on the Hotel grounds and within the main hotel. Dogs are however permitted in the Brasserie courtyard, and 3 designated suites.
- The main entrance has double doors, one of which is usually open giving access of 90cm up to 180cm when both are open
- There is one step, 13cm high x 197cm deep x 212cm wide followed by a further three steps each being 15cm high x 36cm deep x 212cm wide with a brass handrail to the right. Staff are always on hand to assist with access
- Wooden revolving doors open to a width of 66cm
- Two doors leading into the Bay Brasserie have level access, the third has a small step which can be negotiated by use of a mobile ramp
- A large number of ceiling spot lights and chandeliers make lighting very good in the main entrance and reception area. These are replaced as soon as they expire
- A familiarisation tour or escorted visit can be arranged on request
- Reception can be contacted 24 hours a day by dialling '0' on your room phone
- The reception desk is 107cm high - seating is available
- Registration can be completed whilst sitting in the reception area. Clip boards are available and registration cards can be enlarged if required
- The floor through the revolving doors is level and carpeted leading to a level, wooden floor in the very spacious reception area
Main Entrance & Reception
- Residents lounges are situated either side of the main entrance hall.
- They both have double doors which open to a maximum of 147cm.
- Both rooms have ample seating and a large area of unobstructed floor space
- The Exmoor suite, situated to the left, is for adults only
- The Drawing room is situated to the right and leads to Maxines Lounge via a flight of 15 stairs
- Children are welcome in the Drawing room.
- One lift is situated in the main reception
- One lift is situated at the far end of the Hotel
Public Areas - General (Internal)
- The bedrooms, which are situated on three floors, can be accessed by a lift or stairs
- Both lifts have automatic doors and carpeted floors and can comfortably accommodate a wheel chair and escort (door width 80cm, floor space 115cm square, height 230cm) and have tactile buttons. The button to operate the alarm is the first one down.
Public Areas - WC
- Disabled toilets with baby changing facilities in are located in the main reception area via a short, carpeted corridor and via the southern entrance.
- Ladies toilets are first on the right, gentleman's 2nd on the right.
- Tactile signage and braille on doors (80cm wide) opening inwards followed by a second door of same dimensions also opening inwards to a spacious vanity area with baby changing table. This has a slated floor with large mirrored wall.
- Two toilets, one of which has been adapted to accommodate a wheelchair & has a raised seat - height 48cm - cushioned back, moveable leverage arm to the left, vertical & horizontal grab rails.
- Floor dimensions inside cubicle, 140cm x 210cm
- The hand basin is within the cubicle and has one mixer tap which is thermostatically controlled
- There are white tiles on the walls and there is a shelf built into the wall on the right hand side as you enter the toilet cubicle.
- Tactile signage and braille on doors - 80cm wide - opening inwards to a floor space of 190cm x 187cm sq. Second door of same dimensions also opening inwards
- Slated floor with 2 low level urinals leading to two toilets, one having been adapted to accommodate a wheelchair. Seat height 48cm, cushioned back, movable leverage arm to the left, vertical & horizontal grab rails
- Floor dimensions inside cubicle 140cm x 186cm
- The hand basin is within the cubicle (74cm high) and has one mixer tap which is thermostatically controlled
- There are white tiles on the walls and there is a low shelf built into the wall on the right hand side as you enter the toilet cubicle.
Doyles Restaurant, The Bay Brasserie and Public Lounges
- Doyles restaurant is accessed from the main reception area with four steps to negotiate - 125cm wide x 13cm high x 30cm deep - hand rail to either side. A ramp can be secured here for wheelchairs, please ask if required
- The Bay Brasserie has level access from outside and also from the main reception area
- In the Brasserie the floor is wooden and in Doyles the floor is carpeted. In both restaurants the tables are moveable, easily accessed and allocated to suit guests requirements
- All chairs in Doyles and the Brasserie do not have arms but seating can be adjusted as required
- Natural lighting by day. Lighting can be adjusted as necessary in the evening with dimmer switches
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for
- Table service as standard
- Disabled toilets available in reception
- There is a 'non smoking' policy within the Hotel
- Staff are happy to serve drinks in the lounges
- There is an 'in-house' telephone in the Exmoor lounge.
- We have eleven lift level bedrooms, 2 of which are more suitable for guests using a wheelchair with a large unobstructed floor area beside the bed
- Signs are available to hang on your bedroom door requesting help in the event of the need for evacuation
- Notes are made on residents bookings alerting the need for assistance during an emergency
- A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
- Many of our beds are 'zip and link'
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets or wooden floors
- All telephones have 'raised pips' on No. 5
- Room folder information is available in large print
- All rooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request
- The majority of bedding is 'non feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All rooms are 'non-smoking'
- 24 Hour room service is available
- We have a laundry service available to all guests. Information about this and bags to put the laundry in can be found in your wardrobe. For further information please ask reception
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC
- All bedrooms are en-suite
- Some bedrooms have walk in showers but the majority have a bath with a shower over the top
- Most bathrooms are equipped with grab rails, suction grab rails can be attached on request
- All bathrooms have 'non slip' floor tiles
- Accessed via the southern entrance at the far end of the hotel car park.
- Double electric doors with access level to the ballroom.
- Accessible gender neutral toilet
- Gym locker rooms with toilets and walk in showers
- Cinema toilets for both Male & Female
- Cinema foyer with moveable furniture
- 30 seat cinema with accessibility for 2 wheelchairs
- Access & call point within the cinema foyer for assistance, via a ramp to the Alchemist Spa
- Split level gym with 6 steps to the lower ground and 13 steps to the mezzanine level.
- Accessed by card reader
- Fully staffed with trainers available
- Spacious reception with seating
- An accessible lift to the first floor
- 4 treatment rooms with beds that can be lowered.
- A relaxation room
- Pedicure, manicure, clinic & beauty rooms accessible to all
- The Spa reception is level, with easy access to male & female toilets & showers
- 3 steps will access the Rasul & Copper tub room with access doors & walk in showers. The Copper tub is 1.6m in diameter and 60cm in depth
- Non-slip tiles
- One access point via a ladder, one tiled easy step in access
- The pool measures 14m x 6m, depth 0.6m to 1.2m
- Seating is available
- There is no lifeguard on duty
- Emergence call point
- Lifesaving equipment
The Thermal Spa - Sauna, Steam room, Jacuzzi
- Adults only, 16 years and over
- Walk in Shower
- Accessed via a card reader
Male & Female changing rooms
- Showers & toilets
- Baby changing facilities
- Swimsuit dryer
- Enclosed children’s play area at the far end of the grounds has a bark surface and is inspected daily by our maintenance team
- This is not suitable for toddlers and must be supervised by parents/guardians at all times
- Outdoor Lido open and heated end of May – September
- The outdoor pool measures 22m x 11m, depth 0.7m to 1.27m
- The outdoor children's pool is 6m in diameter with a depth of 55cm
- Fully enclosed with gated entrance
- Shower & toilet facilities
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
- The Ballroom is also used as a conference room and has level access from the car park & southern entrance
- Natural lighting is good with windows across the length of the main wall
- Main lighting can be adjusted using dimmer switches
- Seating is moveable
Grounds and Gardens
- We have 6 acres of grounds for guests to relax in - flower borders & lawns with a 9 hole pitch and putt golf course at the far end and tennis courts to the right. These are checked daily.
- Thought has been put into the selection of plants offering stimulating fragrances
- Children's play area at the lower end of the car park with level access and seating
- An outdoor air gym also at the lower end of the car park
- There are a number of benches and tables to sit at around the edge of the lawns.
- Sun loungers are also available
- The lawns are accessed by 7 wide stone steps each 15cm deep with a hand rail at either side. Alternatively you can walk a
- little way down the car park where you will find another entrance on the right hand side with only 2 steps, each being 18cm deep
- There is a public children's play area 300 meters from the Hotel and also a meadow where dogs can be walked. This leads to other public walk ways.
- If you require assistance during your stay please contact reception
- The duty manager can also be contacted via reception
- Staff have attended a Welcome Host course
- Mobile phone reception is usually good in the Hotel grounds
- The fire alarms are tested every Monday morning
- Please inform us at the time of booking or on arrival if you require assistance from your room in the case of an emergency
- Signs to hang on the bedroom door requesting help in the event of a need for evacuation can be provided at reception
- A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
- We are happy to take delivery of hired equipment
- A list of equipment hire companies is available on request
- A list of carers in the local area is available on request
- Panic buttons are by indoor and outdoor pools, sound in reception and are tested daily for use only in emergency
Address: The Woolacombe Bay Hotel, South Street, Woolacombe, Devon EX34 7BN
Telephone: 01271 870388
Grid reference: 51° 10' 459" North, 004° 12' 466" West
Hours of operation: Booking office is open 8am -11pm, 365 days of the year
Local carers: Carers Line - 0808 808 7777
Local equipment hire companies:
- Braunton mobility centre 01271 814 577
- Local public transport numbers:
- Devon Bus Timetable - 0871 2002233
- Local accessible taxi numbers:
- B-Line Taxis - 01271 322117
Other Local taxi numbers:
- Ezee Cabz - 01271 871000 / 07966 548303
Doctor available at Woolacombe Medical Centre, Beach Road, Woolacombe - 01271 870276
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve our services and if you have any comments please contact us.