- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01271 870388
- Reservations are open between 8am - 11pm every day
- We have a comprehensive web site - see contact information
- Our brochure, sample menus & tariffs are available in larger font on request
- You can contact the Hotel by phone, (our telephones accept 'type talk') email, fax or in person. The reception is manned 24 hours.
- The nearest National Express bus stop is Ilfracombe which is approx. 6 miles from Woolacombe
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there is a company in Barnstaple that has taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a shop mobility scheme operating in Braunton (approx. 7 miles from Woolacombe) and Barnstaple (approx. 13 miles away)
- Wheelchairs and disabled aids are available locally and can be delivered - See contact information
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- We have a private, gated car park with designated disabled car spaces either side of the main entrance - there is rear access to the car once parked. Passengers can disembark by the Hotel's main entrance which is in our private car park, or by the Brasserie doors which are on South Street if this is more convenient
- There are another set of doors which open automatically giving level access from South Street into the Hotel Suites and Bay Brasserie
- Porterage is always available and offered at reception on check in and again on checking out
- The tarmac car park has a gradual incline. It is well lit at night
- With the exception of service dogs, pets are not allowed on the Hotel grounds
- The main entrance has double doors, one of which is usually open giving access of 90cm up to 180cm when both are open
- There is one step, 13cm high x 197cm deep x 212cm wide followed by a further three steps each being 15cm high x 36cm deep x 212cm wide with a brass handrail to the right. Staff are always on hand to assist with access
- Wooden revolving doors open to a width of 66cm
- Two doors leading into the Bay Brasserie have level access, the third has a small step which can be negotiated by use of a mobile ramp
- A large number of ceiling spot lights and chandeliers make lighting very good in the main entrance and reception area.
- These are replaced as soon as they expire
- A familiarisation tour or escorted visit can be arranged on request
- Reception can be contacted 24 hours a day by dialling '0' on your room phone
- The reception desk is 107cm high - seating is available
- Registration can be completed whilst sitting in the reception area. Clip boards are available and registration cards can be enlarged if required
- The floor through the revolving doors is level and carpeted leading to a level, wooden floor in the very spacious reception area
Main Entrance & Reception
- Residents lounges are situated either side of the main entrance hall.
- They both have double doors which open to a maximum of 147cm.
- Both rooms have ample seating and a large area of unobstructed floor space
- The Exmoor suite, situated to the left, is for adults only
- The Drawing room is situated to the right and leads to Maxines Lounge via a flight of 15 stairs
- Children are welcome in the Drawing room.
- One lift is situated in the main reception
- One lift is situated at the far end of the Hotel
Public Areas - General (Internal)
The bedrooms, which are situated on three floors, can be accessed by a lift or stairs
Both lifts have automatic doors and carpeted floors and can comfortably accommodate a wheel chair and escort (door width 80cm, floor space 115cm square, height 230cm) and have tactile buttons. The button to operate the alarm is the first one down.
Public Areas - WC
Disabled toilets with baby changing facilities are located in the main reception area via a short, carpeted corridor
Ladies toilets are first on the right, gentleman's 2nd on the right.
- Tactile signage and braille on doors (80cm wide) opening inwards followed by a second door of same dimensions also opening inwards to a spacious vanity area with baby changing table. This has a slated floor with large mirrored wall
- Two toilets, one of which has been adapted to accommodate a wheelchair & has a raised seat - height 48cm - cushioned back, moveable leverage arm to the left, vertical & horizontal grab rails.
- Floor dimensions inside cubicle, 140cm x 210cm
- The hand basin is within the cubicle and has one mixer tap which is thermostatically controlled
- There are white tiles on the walls and there is a shelf built into the wall on the right hand side as you enter the toilet cubicle.
- Tactile signage and braille on doors - 80cm wide - opening inwards to a floor space of 190cm x 187cm sq. Second door of same dimensions also opening inwards
- Slated floor with 2 low level urinals leading to two toilets, one having been adapted to accommodate a wheelchair. Seat height 48cm, cushioned back, movable leverage arm to the left, vertical & horizontal grab rails
- Floor dimensions inside cubicle 140cm x 186cm
- The hand basin is within the cubicle (74cm high) and has one mixer tap which is thermostatically controlled
- There are white tiles on the walls and there is a low shelf built into the wall on the right hand side as you enter the toilet cubicle.
Doyles Restaurant, The Bay Brasserie and Public Lounges
Doyles restaurant is accessed from the main reception area with four steps to negotiate - 125cm wide x 13cm high x 30cm deep - hand rail to either side. A ramp can be secured here for wheelchairs, please ask if required
The Bay Brasserie has level access from outside and also from the main reception area
In the Brasserie the floor is wooden and in Doyles the floor is carpeted. In both restaurants the tables are moveable, easily accessed and allocated to suit guests requirements
All chairs in Doyles and the Brasserie do not have arms but seating can be adjusted as required
Natural lighting by day. Lighting can be adjusted as necessary in the evening with dimmer switches
Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text
Staff are happy to read and explain menus
All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for
Table service as standard
Disabled toilets available in reception
There is a 'non smoking' policy within the Hotel
Staff are happy to serve drinks in the lounges
There is an 'in-house' telephone in each of the lounges
We have a laundry service available to all guests. Information about this and bags to put the laundry in can be found in your wardrobe.
For further information please ask reception
- Treatment rooms are accessed from the Hothouse reception via saloon doors that are 84cm wide
- There are 3 steps - the first of which is 11cm high x 34cm deep, the 2nd is 17cm high x 53cm deep the final step is 17 cm high leading on to the door which is 73 cm wide. Thereafter the corridor is 110cm wide and 560cm to the first treatment room.
- Assistance with access is available at all times
- Treatment room 1 is off to the left
- Treatment room 2 is off to the right
- These doors are uniform having a width of 73cm
- Level entry into each of these rooms. There is sufficient unobstructed floor space to manoeuvre a wheelchair
- There is an adjustable couch in treatment rooms 1 & 2 with the lowest height being 46cm rising to 97cm
- Trained staff are happy to give advice on treatments
- The Spa & Health Suite (consisting of swimming pool, sauna and steam room) is open from 9am - 8pm weekdays, 9am-6pm Saturday and 10am - 6pm Sunday and can be accessed on the level from Frog Street which runs behind the Hotel (if required)
- A member of staff is always available to guide or assist with access
- The door width is 70cm and there is a very low step to negotiate
- The reception counter height is 114cm but staff will sit with guests in the Haven's reception area to discuss their personal requirements and suitability of the facilities
- The reception area is very well lit and note pads & pens are available
Passing through saloon doors that are 84cm wide, ladies' changing rooms to the left, gentlemens' to the right
- Ladies' Changing Rooms
- Door width 74cm opening inwards - 3 toilets to the left. None of these have been adapted
Bench seating by free standing sink - floor area 210cm x 260c
- On the right there are 3 steps to the shower area - 13cm high x 23cm deep, leading to 3 shower cubicles
- Shower cubicle step is 13cm high. The shower cubicles are 71cm x 100cm sq
- Gentlemens' Changing Rooms
- Door width of 74cm opening inwards with one toilet - not adapted
- Bench seating and free standing hand basin are on entry level
- There are 3 steps each 14cm high x 13cm deep leading up to a three person shower room with a step of 11cm high 14cm deep into the shower base
- The gym is accessed from the Hothouse reception via a flight of 16 steps
- All staff are able to give advice and assist with equipment
- A personal trainer is available on request at a charge
- Lighting is good and there is one large mirrored wall in the gym
- The swimming pool is accessed from the Hothouse reception via double doors which are 166cm wide and a step down of 11cm, turning right along a level corridor, 666cm in length. At the end of this there is one step up - 19cm high. Sharp turn left to a door 68cm wide combined with a step down of 13cm
- Pool dimensions are Length 14m x 6m, Depth 0.6m to 1.2m - adjacent to which is a paddling pool - dimensions L242cm x W123 cm
- Access to pool via a ladder with 5 steps at the deep end and 3 at the shallow end
Seating is available around the pool
Enclosed children’s play area at the far end of the grounds has a bark surface and is inspected daily by our maintenance team
This is not suitable for toddlers and must be supervised by parents/guardians at all times
Conference & Meeting Rooms, Banqueting, Clubs, Entertainment
The Lancaster Suite is also used as a conference room and has level access from the car park
Natural lighting is good with windows across the length of the main wall
Main lighting can be adjusted using dimmer switches
Seating is moveable
Level access to two bedrooms and gentlemen's toilet - not yet adapted to accommodate a wheelchair. Please not there are stairs to be negotiated to get from these bedrooms to the main hotel.
Please notify conference organiser in advance if any additional services are required
There is wireless connection throughout the Hotel
We have eleven lift level bedrooms, 2 of which are more suitable for guests using a wheelchair with a large unobstructed floor area beside the bed
Signs are available to hang on your bedroom door requesting help in the event of the need for evacuation
Notes are made on residents bookings alerting the need for assistance during an emergency
A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
Many of our beds are 'zip and link'
The bedrooms have short pile carpets
All telephones have 'raised pips' on No. 5
Room folders are available in large print
All rooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request
The majority of bedding is 'non feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
All rooms are 'non smoking'
24 Hour room service is available
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC
All bedrooms are ensuite
Some bedrooms (not lift level) have walk in showers but the majority have a bath with a shower over the top
Some bathrooms are equipped with grab rails
All bathrooms have 'non slip' floor tiles
Grounds and Gardens
We have 6 acres of grounds for guests to relax in - flower borders & lawns with a 9 hole pitch and putt golf course at the far end and tennis courts to the right. These are checked daily
Thought has been put into the selection of plants offering stimulating fragrances
Children's adventure play area at the lower end of the car park with level access and seating
There are a number of benches and tables to sit at around the edge of the lawns.
Sun loungers are also available
The lawns are accessed by 7 wide stone steps each 15cm deep with a hand rail at either side. Alternatively you can walk a little way down the car park where you will find another entrance on the right hand side with only 2 steps, each being 18cm deep
There is a public children's play area 300 meters from the Hotel and also a meadow where dogs can be walked. This leads to other public walk ways.
If you require assistance during your stay please contact reception
The duty manager can also be contacted via reception
Staff have attended a Welcome Host course
Mobile phone reception is usually good in the Hotel grounds
The fire alarms are tested every Monday morning
Please inform us at the time of booking or on arrival if you require assistance from your room in the case of an emergency
All rooms have signs to hang on the bedroom door requesting help in the event of a need for evacuation
A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at reception
We are happy to take delivery of hired equipment
A list of equipment hire companies is available on request
A list of carers in the local area is available on request
Panic buttons are by indoor and outdoor pools, sound in reception and are tested daily for use only in emergency
Address: The Woolacombe Bay Hotel, South Street, Woolacombe, Devon EX34 7BN
Telephone: 01271 870388
Fax: 01271 870613
Grid reference: 51° 10' 459" North, 004° 12' 466" West
Hours of operation: Booking office is open 8am -11pm, 365 days of the year
Local carers: Carers Line - 0808 808 7777
Local equipment hire companies:
Braunton mobility centre 01271 814 577
Local public transport numbers:
Devon Bus Timetable - 0871 2002233
Local accessible taxi numbers:
B-Line Taxis - 01271 322117
Other Local taxi numbers:
Ezee Cabz - 01271 871000/ 07966 548303
Doctor available at Woolacombe Medical Centre, Beach Road, Woolacombe - 01271 870276
We welcome your feedback to help us continuously improve our services and if you have any comments please contact us.